Friday, October 22, 2010

Winged Beauty


      Has anybody seen anything like this? Please try to help me. I haven't identified this animal which I think is a moth if not a butterfly-- a regular nocturnal visitor of forget-me-not flowers in our garden. That has been so until tonight, when one of our cats, Goldie, caught the buzzer and held it in its mouth and played with it for quite a time until it got tired with the insect. Luckily, Goldie released it but was guarding it, waiting for the winged beauty to take flight and catch it again. I took the rare opportunity and picked the poor thing up from the well-lighted doorway. It was still alive but was barely surviving. It sustained a torn left wing, but excepting that it was almost intact. Before I released it back to the wild, I held it to my mobile phone camera and took these shots, and there I have it forever. 

      I have been trying, surfing the web and hoping to find a similar-looking photo of it for its common and scientific names, but I just couldn't identify the  creature that has proboscis-like tongue about three to four inches long, perhaps it hasn't been cataloged  yet in the list of members of Zoology. I hope somebody could help me.






No comments:

Post a Comment